Kochi Multiple Sights
Ernakulam/Kochi/Cochin: Cochin in English Ernakulam is one out of 14 districts of Kerala while Kochi is the name of the corporation of Ernakulam district. In general, both characters intend the same place. It is also the commercial capital of Kerala and a harbour town. It is also an internationally famous tourist destination for its multipple features like buildings of the colonial era, serene beaches, lakes, and backwaters, cruise services, fishing nets, amusement parks, large shopping malls, historical shrines, palace museums, bird sanctuary, antiques, curio products, art galleries, etc. It is a land of great legends and legacies. The towns of Ernakulam and Kochi, the almost inseparable twins, brandish ancient movements, places of historical significance, and several ancient temples. Old Portugal, Dutch monuments, and early British structures are reminiscent of a glorious sequence of historical events. The colossal places of the Maharajas (Kings) of the region speak volumes of the rich architecture of the part. 'Kaladi' The birthplace of the great Hindu philosopher Adi Sankara, who promulgated the doctrine of 'Advaitha' which means 'Not Two but One', is situated in this district. Unique legends and conventions are associated with the temples and churches of the region. The entire region is gifted with natural landscapes of immense beauty. The sumptuous sanctuaries swarmed with capricious birds are a delight to the sight. The bird sanctuary at Thattekkad is also home to particular wildlife creatures. Thus, this part of Kerala is always full of joyous visitors everywhere.
Let's help you for a wonderful Kochi package trip
One can experience the pulse of Fort Kochi with a leisurely walk through the city. It was the first European township in India. This old obscure fishing village has sweet memories of history. The town was shaped by the Portuguese, the Dutch, and the British. The result of these cultural influences is seen in the many examples of Indo-European architecture that still exist here.
Chinese fishing net
The legacy of one of the first visitors to the Malabar Coast is these vast cantilevered fishing nets, erected here between AD 1350 and AD 1450 by traders from the court of Kublai Khan. These nets are set up on teak wood and bamboo poles.
Pierce Leslie Bungalow
This grand edifice was the office of Pierce Leslie & Co., the centuries-old merchants, in 1982. The construction seems to be a rare outcome of the fusion of three great architectural excellences - the Dutch, the Portuguese, and, last but not least, the Keralite. The verandahs are furnished with waterfronts.
It is again the 18th-century tower of elegance built by Samuel S. Koder of the Kochin Electric Company. The architecture here emphasizes the advent of the Indo-European style over the colonial style.
St. Francis Church
This ancient church, reckoned to be the oldest European church in India, has a long history of construction and reconstruction. Originally built of wood and timber by the Portuguese in 1503, the church was rebuilt by Dutch Protestants with stone masonry in 1779 and then converted into an Anglican church by the British in 1795. It is now under the Church of South India Council. You can see the tombstone of the tremendous historic voyager Vasco-da-Gama here. It was here he was laid to rest in 1524. Later his remains were removed to Portugal.
Santa Cruz Basilica
This ancient church, built by the Portuguese, was consecrated as a cathedral by Pope Paul IV in 1558. Eventually, when the British annexed Kochi in 1795, it was demolished. Then Bishop Dom Gomez Ferreira established a new building at the same site in 1887. Pope John Paul II declared the church the Basilica in 1894.
This ancient church, built by the Portuguese, was consecrated to be a cathedral by Pope Paul IV in 1558. Eventually, when the British annexed Kochi in 1795, it was demolished. Then Bishop Dom Gomez Ferreira established a new building at the same site in 1887. Pope John Paul II declared the church the Basilica in 1894.
The Bishops's House
This beautiful building, built for the Portuguese Governor as his residence in 1506, stands on a small hillock near the parade grounds. It has the facelift embellished with Gothic arches and a tread-worthy path along a circular garden leading to the inviting portal. The building then went into the possession of Dom Jos Gomes Ferriera, the 27th bishop of the Diocese of Kochi.
What looks today like a reticent remnant of a robust structure along the beach was once a magnificent fort. The bastion here signified the alliance between the then rulers of Kochi and Portugal. It was built in 1503 and fortified in 1538. The beautiful fort walls and fortifications were destroyed by the Dutch and the British in the 1800s and later.
David Hall Art Gallery
It was built in the latter part of the 17th century by the Dutch East India Company. David Koder, a Jewish businessman by whose name the building is known today, was one of the later occupants. The famous Dutch Commander Hendrik Adriaan van Rheede tot Drakenstein, who was initially linked with the hall, was the pioneer who compiled the flora of the Malabar coast. The compilation is known as Hortus Malabaricus.
Also known as the Dutch Palace, the Dutch renovated this beautiful structure in 1663. It was initially built by the Portuguese in 1557 and presented to Raja Veera Kerala Varma of Kochi. Today, it is a Portrait Gallery of Kochi Rajas. There are beautiful wall paintings here. Old Dutch maps of Kochi, royal palanquins, and other ancient materials add to this attraction.
Visiting hours: 10 a.m. to 12 noon and 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Closed on Fridays.
Princess Street is one of the earliest streets constructed in Fort Kochi. European-style buildings keep their old charm.
This European-style building was built in 1667. With a marvellous building structure, the Bastion Bungalow attracts many visitors. Today Bastion Bungalow is the official residence of the sub-collector.
The Dutch Cemetery
The tombstones here are the most authentic record of the hundreds of Europeans who left their homeland on a mission to expand their colonial empires and changed throughout the history of this land. The cemetery was consecrated in 1724 and is today managed by the CSI.
It is the oldest synagogue constructed in 1568 in the commonwealth. It was partially destroyed in shelling during a Portuguese raid in 1662. The Dutch rebuilt it two years later. Among the exquisite elements are a clock tower, stone slabs with Hebrew inscriptions, great scrolls of the Old Testament, copper plates bearing ancient scripts, etc. The floor tiles here are willow patterned and hand-painted in the 18th century China style, brought from Canton.
Visitors timing: 10.00 — 12.00 hrs and 15.00 to 17.00 hrs.
Vasco da Gama Square
The best place to watch the Chinese fishing nets lowered into the sea and the catch brought in is the Vasco-Da-Gama square. A narrow promenade runs along the beach. Square is the best place for leisure and has stalls serving fresh seafood.
This temple is dedicated to Lord Siva. The presiding deity, one of the various forms of the Lord, is known as Ernakulathappan.
This wonderful holiday resort is where the Bolgatty Palace was built in 1744 by the Dutch. It was later taken over by the British. Now, it serves as a hotel managed by the KTDC (Kerala Tourism Development Corporation). A tiny golf course and honeymoon cottages are notable features.
This artificial island in the middle of the artful backwaters is named after Lord Willingdon, a former British Viceroy of India. There are excellent hotels, trading centres, Port Trust, and the Southern Naval Command Headquarters in this beautiful place.
Adi Sankara Janmabhumi Temple
The Adi Sankara Sharadamba Temple complex draws a significant number of pilgrims and is open to all religions. People from all parts of the world visit this temple for spiritual solace and peace of mind.
Bhoothathankettu (50 km from Ernakulam City)
It is an excellent picnic spot of Ernakulam town embedded in a wast expanse of virgin forest. It is just a short distance away from Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, another exciting place. The 'Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary at Thattekkad situates near the two main irrigation projects, the Periyar Valley and the Idamalayar Irrigation Projects. It is also a trekkers' paradise.
Kerala History Museum
Situated at Edappally, hardly 8 km from Ernakulam city, this museum reveals historical episodes from the Neolithic to the modern era through life-size figures. There are two art galleries. One displays paintings by contemporary Indian artists while the other is the centre for visual arts, the authentic reproduction of selected world masters.
Located in Tripunitura, the presiding deity of the temple is Lord Krishna. Poornathrayeesha was the patron deity of the rulers of the erstwhile Cochin kingdom. Poornathrayeesha means, Lord who is having authority over Writ, Yajus, and Sama Vedas.
Parikshith Thampuran Museum
Many ancient coins, bronzes, murals, and megalithic relics of Kerala are on display here. It is adjacent to the Siva temple on Durbar Hall road.
Chottanikkara Devi Temple
It is a famous Devi Temple located in Thripunithura about 20 km from Ernakulam Railway station. Goddess Rajarajeswari (Adiparasakti) is worshipped here in three forms, namely Saraswati in the morning, Lakshmi in the afternoon and Durga in the evening.
This temple is one of the 108 most prominent and vital Devi temples in India. The famous temple tank here is believed to act as an exorcist, as a dip in the holy tank drives away the evil spirits tormenting the possessed individuals.
Kodanad Elephant Krall (40 km from Ernakulam city)
Situated in the high ranges on the South bank of Periyar, Kodanad is one of the largest elephant training centres in South India. Elephants are mainly trained here for Safari. The forest department conducts elephant rides for the tourists visiting here. On the north of this place flows the Periyar river. There is also a small zoo.
It situates about 47 km from Kochi. The place is sanctified in the presence of this catholic church. It stands on a beautiful hill at an altitude of 609 metres. The church dedicated to St. Thomas receives thousands of dedicated devotees during the annual festival—Malayatoor Perunnal(festival) celebrates between March and April. The holy Saint Thomas is believed to have prayed here.
Kumbalangi tourist village
Virtually a fishing hamlet, this tiny village facing the Kochi backwaters in the western part of the city is India's first ecotourism village in India. Kalagramam, an artist's village, displays handicrafts and fishing tackles.
Cherai beach & backwaters
One of the loveliest beaches in India. Sandwiched between backwaters and the Arabian Sea, it is the ideal spot for tourists. Cherai is located 27 km away from the city of Ernakulam and 25 km from the International Airport.